At a glance: The Technical University of Munich
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) is one of Europe’s top universities. It is committed to excellence in research and teaching, interdisciplinary education and the active promotion of promising young scientists. The university also forges strong links with companies and scientific institutions across the world. TUM was one of the first universities in Germany to be named a University of Excellence. Moreover, TUM regularly ranks among the best European universities in international rankings.
Best university in Germany. Ideal study environment. Top marks from industry. TUM rated among the best in national and international ranking lists. TUM in Rankings
11 schools and departments. 48,296 students. 623 professors. 398.0 mio. Euros in third-party research funding. 17 Nobel Prize winners. Facts and Figures.
TUM is clearly structured. It has 11 schools and academic departments, and also Integrative Research Institutes (IRIs) engaged in cutting-edge interdisciplinary research. The TUM Board of Management oversees the running of the university, the TUM Board of Trustees is the university’s central supervisory board. TUM’s Organization
The university was founded in 1868 to provide the state of Bavaria with a center of learning dedicated to the natural sciences. The university played a vital role in Bavaria’s transition from an agricultural to an industrial state – and accelerated the pace of technological advancement across Europe. TUM’s history
Our Mission Statement
As a leading entrepreneurial university, we are a site of global knowledge exchange, shaping the future with talent, excellence and responsibility.
We inspire, promote and develop talents in all their diversity to become responsible, broad-minded individuals and empower them to shape the progress of innovation for people, nature and society with the highest scientific standards and technological expertise, with entrepreneurial courage and sensitivity to social and political issues, as well as a lifelong commitment to learning.
Our Core Values
Our core values form the foundation of our relationships with one another and with our cooperation partners:
- Excellence: We encourage curiosity, creativity and unconventional thinking across the disciplines and set the highest standards of performance in research, teaching and innovation.
- Entrepreneurial Mindset: We question the consequences of our actions, direct ourselves toward new challenges and improve our working methods continually. To this end, we commit ourselves to socially reflected innovations and promote their commercial application, as well as to sustainable technology spin-offs at all levels.
- Integrity: We draw our success from an inclusive community of talents from different backgrounds, cultures, ideas and perspectives, acting with respect for others and transparency in accordance with our shared values.
- Collegiality: We respect and inspire one another in a vibrant culture of university community and cultivate the academic, economic and social partnerships that make TUM a site of global knowledge exchange.
- Resilience: We learn from our varied experiences and see in persistent change the opportunity for the sustainable development of science, ecology, economy and society – from this we draw ever new inspiration, motivation and resolve.